Popular Posts

63.

It used to be 93 then it went down to 85, the number started to decrease even further as time passed by. From 85 to 72 to 66 and finally, 63.



63 of us who are on the same journey together, who believe in TFM's vision (which is to end education inequity). We all went through the gruesome 7 weeks of training at Bangunan Peladang. It was exhausting, fast paced and yet, at the very least somewhat satisfying.


'The Warung Effect' analogy created by yours truly! 

This analogy has to do with our conscious leadership module where we learn on how to differentiate between the predictable and alternate future. 


All of us were constantly stuck together in the same small and stuffy space every single day, shifting our sitting positions and hopping from table to table once in awhile and mingling with people with different backgrounds and unique personalities. It's fascinating to see how we share and exchange our thoughts, opinions and creativity with one another which has enabled me to widen my perspective in life - and how so? You may ask. It has allowed me to learn their backstory and experiences which has made them the person they are today.





We were all told that the 63 of us took the road less traveled. I googled 'The road less traveled' and the funniest thing on wikipedia came about. It was hilarious how the editor likened the road less travelled to the editing of articles on wikipedia. Anyway, 'The road less traveled' is an excerpt from 'The Road Not Taken' by Robert Frost. By being part of the cohort or even in Teach For Malaysia, we have opted to not take the road traveled mostly by our friends where after they have completed their degree, they walk down the path where they either become lawyers/doctors etc. It doesn't apply to everyone, but being part of the cohort is somewhat different from taking the usual career path.




I remember stepping into my unit at CitiZEN (our accommodation) after a long day at training, vomiting out all of my frustrations and complaints to my housemates (3 of them are part of the Cohort Representative committee aka the Fellow Advisory Board (FAB)). I am an extremely critical person when it comes to many things, I would often question 'why' and ask extremely weird questions to people and their usual response would be a puzzled look (probably wondering why I'm a weirdo). However, I must admit that I lack the ability to question 'How?'.

In the many events that I complain or even rant about PSP. There are also equally many things that I am extremely thankful for and appreciate fully. I don't exactly remember what happens everyday once I get back from training since everything goes by too fast. Nevertheless, I do remember moments I deem special to me.



Fun fact; I go to the training centre at around 7-ish in the morning, which means I haven't had my breakfast or coffee yet, which also means I would very much like my tummy filled just so I could get through the day. So, if I do look grumpy, please note that I very much need my coffee before I could talk to anyone or chances are it could just be that I'm in pain because of my period (Jo Ann could vouch for this one). Even better, it's probably just my natural expression of looking bored half of the time.


I was placed in PLC1 or also known as H^3 which is an abbrevation for Happy, Hardworking & Humorous. I wasn't really a fan of the name at first, but I guess it stuck esp with the cheer I made up 'Ha Ha Huuuu' with the Hu sounding like an owl's hoot (Don't ask why).


I don't even know where to begin about my group, if you were a friend of mine, you probably would have heard all of the funny stories I've spoken about in regards to my group. Although we were unfamiliar with one another during the first week, thanks to one of the energizers, it really broke the ice between all of us.

My group members who had (and still have) each other's backs. Eg; Kimberly & Jo Ann going all the way out to get me porridge when I had high fever or when we all needed to print something urgently and Brian was there to provide *free* printing services haha or when we all needed a shoulder to cry on or just a simple laugh.


I won't deny that what keeps me pumped up during PSP itself was our PLC group meeting where we would do our own activities together (which would end up as something silly which brings laughter to all of us). The funniest inside jokes that we share with one another and how we deal with each other's antics is definitely a story to tell the future generation.


Our beloved LDOs - Yen Ming & Hui Tze (leadership development officers who served as our mentors/coaches and each group gets two) who supported us in everything we do, who witnessed our laughter and tears and the ones who basically held our hands tight whilst we brace through the storm together as a group. Don't get me wrong, they have many times allowed us to take ownership of our work and to be independent but if the situation calls for it, they will be there standing right next to us, letting us know that when we fall, we have someone right next to us, encouraging us to stand up once more.



Bonus pic of Yen Ming giving us instructions. 


The mosquito that Matt sent me -.-

The friends you have in your cohort are known to be your support system, the ones who understand what you're going through. I was never in the whole 'I understand how you feel' bit. Yet, there was one day where I saw some of my cohort members crying because of a certain news that was broken to us and I could feel my own tears flowing down (quite teruk also la, LOL). If that isn't empathy then I don't know what is. I still hold true to what I believe in which is 'I can never fully understand how you feel'. But I will put myself in said person's shoe, identify with how they are feeling and try to be there for them as much as I can.


I can't remember every single thing but I do know that I immensely appreciate the ones whom I talk to everyday or even if it's not everyday, I am grateful for being able to get to know them. I am aware that it is such a short amount of time and I can't really get to know everyone as deeply as I want to, but if at any point of time, anyone would like to share their stories with me. I am happy to listen to their stories and exchange our experiences.

Some of the quirky highlights I'd like to list down here would be me;


  • Appreciating the little notes of encouragements left in our brown paper bags to give us the boost needed (or Matt leaving mosquito bangkais in my paper bag, so to speak).
  • Friends giving me strepsils or lemon drops when they could see that I was feeling unwell during class.
  • Badminton. 



  • My housemates who listens to each other's rants and stories everytime and at any time. 
  • Mun's kiasuness in everything (esp when it comes to Badminton). 
  • B-13-2's therapy house (when in reality, we watched pokemon and power rangers - courtesy of K.I.'s cetak rompak downloads). 
  • Haunting of Hill House. 
  • Racing back to the apartment with Matt & K.I.
  • Encouraging Beatrice to speak up in class because I believe that her voice matters just as much as the rest. 


  • Ghaz's brownies. 
  • JH and I exploring KL because I told her I wanted to go to a cafe. 
  • Me switching on the lights when Amy wants them off just because I want to see her squirm like a worm hehe. 
  • My group's bus getting lost EVERY SINGLE DAY (idek how!!!) whenever we get back from Kem SKORlah and missing 1/3 of our training sessions. 
  • Hilda losing her voice. 
  • Collabs listening to me whine about how tired and hungry I am during classes. 


Finally, our training in school during the holidays. Somehow, my group was placed in the farthest school, which was a 45 - 60 minute (one way) ride everyday. I had my reservations about being placed further away from our cohort, simply because it was really far away and I thought that it would be so tiring to travel to and fro everyday then have classes right after.

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. 



If we hadn't been placed in this particular school, I probably wouldn't have:

  • Been able to get to know the kids who are so full of potential in the things they do. 
  • Been able to work closely with my collabs (subgroup in a team) who I am extremely grateful and thankful for. 
  • Been able to share a close bond with my students and my group members who inspire me to be better each day. 
  • Known that my students had such deep thoughts, or 
  • Witness them discuss about social issues and present their ideas and objectives to stakeholders during open day!
  • Watergun wars wouldn't have come to life! 
  • Gotten my own seat on the bus and having the rest take over the entire bus because there was only 13 of us on the bus (counting in our beloved LDOs). 




It would have been a very different experience if I went to another school and no doubt that I may or may not have enjoy that experience. However, I can confirm that I definitely appreciated and enjoyed this particular experience. Just like every other fellow whom I hope have enjoyed their own experience in their schools as well. I've listened to some of the stories and was glad to see that all of us are learning something everyday.





Most importantly, throughout the process of PSP and Kem SKORlah, I got to know myself a little bit better - what I'm good at, what I could improve on and what I lack in. It has helped me evaluate my thoughts even further by becoming even more understanding than before. Hopefully I've been actively applying it in my daily life.



Amidst the chaos of feeling overwhelmed, exhausted, being hit by the vast amount of uncertainty which has dawned upon us for the past two months - Alhamdulillah, we have finally received the approval of our placements and will be posted soon.

This particular short journey (which will be extended once I start my fellowship, officially) has not only taught me theoretical practices and methods when it comes to education, the ways on execution and so on. It has taught me the art of perseverance, moving forward, that every human being deserves a shot in this whirlwind - life.

While it has taught me many things, it's now time for me and the rest of the cohort to apply what we have learnt in our daily lives. Basically, practice and practice til we get it (somewhat) right.

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. 
The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

- Winston Churchill 


This is basically my 'somewhat' mini reflection, and there are so many stories which I would love to put out here and I probably should have previously, but I am the Master of Procrastination! (Should get rid of this bad habit). However, if any TFM fellow or future fellow or anyone comes across this post, do enlighten me with your stories! I would love to hear/read them.

P/S: Kem SKORlah will have a different post in terms of what we have done for our class culture preparations, activities and everything else in a more detailed manner! 
You may also like:

Post a Comment

© Releasing one's Imaginations. . Design by MangoBlogs.